The Church of St. Mark was built in 1912, destroyed in 1944, rebuilt in 1952 and converted in 2004 into the Centre for Proclaiming the Protestant Church.
The annexes which contain office spaces are clearly distinguishable from the body of the existing church building. By means of the load-bearing wall with superimposed channel-shaped glass and air cavity, an air collector is created that contributes substantially to the natural regulation of the room climate.The existing church area has been reduced by the building of a library on the 1st and 2nd floor around the church area. By using primarily opaque and translucent building materials the outside light reaching the interior of the church is filtered and added to the sacred ambience. This gives the area its sacred feeling. With sensitive use of the existing and newly recovered building fabric, the construction receives in contrast to the newly employed building materials its special character.
ECB - GroßmarkthalleFrankfurt, Germany
H. Rive GaucheParis, France
Le Nouveau Carreau du TempleParis, France