Situated in the third district of Paris, the « Carreau du Temple » has been restored and rehabilitated by the city of Paris. Built in 1830, the central part of the building is a 60 x 65 metres market hall presently used as a multi-use space, divided into three naves with a zinked roof supported by so-called Polonceau beams in cast iron.
This complex is a rare example of the industrial architecture of that era. The project creates two underground levels, a scene, and three office levels. The underground levels house the sports installations, studios and technical spaces. The central naves were reorganised and are used as multi-function spaces. The zinked roof was reconfigured to meet technical and acoustical norms (RT2005). This fundamental change in loading was integrated into a reinforcement concept of the structure, which aimed to have a minimal impact on the existing architecture. The focus was also brought on compatibility issues between cast iron and steel and the rehabilitation of cracked columns.
Wien Museum NeuVienna, Austria
Foundation Seydoux-PathéParis, France